I had a horrible day yesterday: I didn't follow my advice. I should have stayed out or stayed long. I went short a few times but got out before the account was totally destroyed. I made back a 1/3 of the losses today. From now on, I'm going to stop forcing things so much. I can do a fairly good job of making $200 a day and should just be happy with that right now. When I push for higher returns I end up getting screwed (for the most part), especially when I do it during announcements, against positive news, etc...
Taking a break from trying to make a million in a day. Heh.
Update: I think I might do better if I opened my own account to trade futures and eventually stocks. One reason I push so hard is because if I make $200 a day, I get $20 at my 10% commission rate. That just doesn't feel like a lot, and really not enough to make up for the trouble of earning someone else $180. The incentives are all off. Because of that I end up trying to push for $500 or $1k a day and end up, for the most part, coming way to close to falling, or falling. There are reasons I cannot make those high amounts, the main being my money management setup isn't made for the pattern day trade rules, and I can make $500 or $1k easier with stocks than futures.
I'm saving up the $4k necessary for a futures account at Think or Swim (hoping to use their software under the commission schedule of another broker). Once I break $5k I'll think about getting an account with a prop firm. There are some pretty cool trading firms out there that would allow me 50k-100k (and sometimes more) in capital to trade. Also, with them I can get in and out whenever I want: a few shares here and there or my entire bankroll. That's the freedom I would like to have on my current account.
We'll see how the rest of the week goes. I have about $2k of the money needed for the futures account. I have some bonds and stuff saved in the bank too--not sure how much. I'm checking it all out to put it together for a decent starting account.
Guesstimates on September 1, 2026
15 hours ago

3 comments:
I think you will do better on your own, the weird dynamics of the commissions on trading someone else's money, and/or being under the PDT is effecting your judgment, also the pressure of making money to have cash to live on.
From what I can tell, you have excellent technical knowledge of the market and with some experience with actual trading, you should do fine!
Thank you Charlie.
I'm moving in that direction. Hoping to be there soon.
Post a Comment