New Rule: Do not take on two contracts at once until $2500+ is in the account. Even then, be cautious and do not take them on after a losing trade. STUPID!
True. At certain times (high chance of reversion) I feel I can get away with it. Today I had a one point loss (was still positive for the day) and decided I would give two contracts a go right then and there. Terrible idea that I should've stopped for many reasons. I was pushing too hard after a loss, thinking I could make it back ASAP. It turned into a huge loss (7 points and lots of commissions) as I let myself fall into a self-destructive cycle.
I am still trying to figure it out. But I did get myself out of it and came back to break even (minus commissions) near the end of the day. I then took a shower, came back and threw on another impulsive trade! Which took me down 1.75points for the day plus $136 in commissions!
Garbage. At least I have the day replaying in my head over and over again. That will up the value of today's losses letting me avoid them in the near future (I will have another day like today in the future...bleh).
I fall into these cycles of huge wins, then complacency, a small loss that I let drive me to make a larger loss. I double up (TERRIBLE!) and get caught in the moment, trying to scalp ticks! (Heh).
Then I get angry with myself and figure out a way to come back.
Really, it's all a great learning experience that tends to push me forward rather than back =)
i don't do drugs. instead, i drink diet dr pepper and coffee. i like beans and rice. and, most importantly, i like trading. someday, i'll probably travel the world. but, right now, i'm poor. this is my blog where i will document my trading activities, and my economic, political, social, philosophical, artistic, blah blah blah opinions. i don't aim to make you any money, and you're an idiot if you take my advice without research. make your own opinions; develop your own perceptions and perspectives. furthermore, this is mine. if you don't like it, you don't have to read it. i'm doing this for myself. stick around and contribute thoughtful arguments to the discussion. or--piss off.
2 comments:
2 contracts on $2500 is still very aggressive. I allocate $5K per contract, even though my day trading margin is $500/contract.
True. At certain times (high chance of reversion) I feel I can get away with it. Today I had a one point loss (was still positive for the day) and decided I would give two contracts a go right then and there. Terrible idea that I should've stopped for many reasons. I was pushing too hard after a loss, thinking I could make it back ASAP. It turned into a huge loss (7 points and lots of commissions) as I let myself fall into a self-destructive cycle.
I am still trying to figure it out. But I did get myself out of it and came back to break even (minus commissions) near the end of the day. I then took a shower, came back and threw on another impulsive trade! Which took me down 1.75points for the day plus $136 in commissions!
Garbage. At least I have the day replaying in my head over and over again. That will up the value of today's losses letting me avoid them in the near future (I will have another day like today in the future...bleh).
I fall into these cycles of huge wins, then complacency, a small loss that I let drive me to make a larger loss. I double up (TERRIBLE!) and get caught in the moment, trying to scalp ticks! (Heh).
Then I get angry with myself and figure out a way to come back.
Really, it's all a great learning experience that tends to push me forward rather than back =)
Post a Comment