Lost $500 on Friday because I was impatient and pushed a trade (oh, and IB's platform also did something funny). I was up $300 with the market rather quiet. I hate the fact that I can only trade on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays, and dislike it even more when I don't feel as though I've had a full trading day one of those days. That day tends to be Friday, as I like to be out before the end of the day. Overnight-weekend holds are no fun.
Anyway, I told myself I should get out, but I really wanted to break 25k. That was bad on two counts. One, I didn't listen to my intuition. Two, I was focusing on profit figures when I should have been focusing on setups. I threw on a trade to short far too much SRS and ended up taking a $500 loss.
Of course, that would leave me down just $200. But I decided to try to make it back with futures. I did okay (up $50 or so) when I tried to close out my positions and turn off my program. Something weird happened and one window was saying I had no positions while another said I had a position in /ES. Also, my P/L column said I had lost $100k or something ridiculous (IB would never let that happen...heh).
I had to turn the program off to get it to do anything. When I came back on, I (somehow) had a short position in /ES. I thought I'd let it run a little to see if I could make any of the losses that I had on it back. I couldn't and had to take a $300 loss. Bleh!
My impatience got the best of me. Again.
Guesstimates on September 1, 2026
15 hours ago

2 comments:
I can understand your frustration, Ryan. Whenever IB did that, my heart would skip a beat. And then I would feel like taking all my money out. It's really not friendly to very short term trader.
Well, it's a new week. Fresh start :-)
Hey Ryan, that stinks. Something is wrong with IB. The same thing happened to me on Thurs. I woke up to a -200 short trade and don't know how the hell it got there. I'm telling you, they really hate bears these days.
Glad to hear you are nearing the 25k, no more walking on egg shells :)
Post a Comment